Monday 11 March 2013

the sustaining of life... part two

Welcome back! In my blog post last week I started to write about seven elements that sustain life: air, water, food, sunshine, rest, exercise, love. Today I'll explore the elements of rest, exercise and love...

rest

Rest... do you remember this? Because we live in a world that never switches off, rest is something we purposefully have to make time for! We have forgotten how to balance our work lives with our social lives and still have time for self-care... and in order to restore the balance this means prioritising rest! Due to electric light our night can now be as active as our day, and the effect of this has been that we are cutting back on sleep. Sleep is essential for sustaining life as there are many restorative processes that take place when we are sleeping. In fact, people who sleep for less than six hours a night have a shorter lifespan than those who sleep for seven to eight hours. I used to cut back on sleep. Now, I actively prioritise sleep. If I don't prioritise sleep I know I won't function well the next day, and this will impact on my whole week, as well as the long-term state of my health.

If you have trouble stopping for a break during the day or getting to bed earlier at night all you need to do is change your mindset and your routine. As my mum always says, "You can have it all but you can't have it all at once". Sometimes, we try to do it all, be it all, have it all. It astounds me how we place value on things that will never pay us back, and leave the things that we know are beneficial until later. At some point, our bad habits catch up with us, and like me, you will find that you will be forced to do the things that you had a choice to do before

So, choose to rest. 

exercise

We are made to move, my friends! Exercise has many physical and physiological benefits, so you will not only be more fit and energetic with regular exercise but you will experience better rest and sleep, better appetite control and better stability within your life. An important aspect of regular exercise is that it should be enjoyable for you, otherwise you may have trouble continuing your exercise routine. I like to walk, run, swim, dance and do Pilates. I always make time for exercise in my weekly schedule, and make sure that I am physically active every day, even if I am just spending physical energy doing my grocery shopping (I do a lot of walking and carrying!). Let me say, I don't spend hours in the gym every day, but I find as long as I am moving my body regularly, then I am experiencing the benefits of regular exercise. 

If you are unsure of how to start, aim to walk everyday for an amount of time that you know you can do on a good day and a bad day. Every week start to increase the length of time you are walking until you are walking for 30 minutes at least 5 to 7 times a week. I started at 12 minutes at my worst, and my mum had to take my shoes off at the end of my walk because I was so exhausted! Trust me, you can do this! Walking is the most natural exercise we can do... and best prepares us for living and sustaining our day to day lives.

love

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16. 

We all need to be loved. Love is practiced in the context of relationship; the most integral relationship to the sustaining of my life is my relationship with my Father God. He gave his Son, Jesus Christ, to the world so that I may come into relationship with him. His love for me is unconditional. His love for me sets me free.

There is nothing greater than love for the sustaining of life. Nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment